Birthday Celebrations

By 9:37 pm

This weekend we went over to the IOW for Jason's Grandma's 80th birthday. It was a surprise trip across to the island with Jason's sister and her husband, and I think I'm safe in saying it was most definitely a surprise for both of Jason's grandparents, which was lovely!

I was asked to bake a cake for the celebration and decided on a three tier vanilla sponge cake with vanilla frosting. I then decorated the top of the cake with some pastel coloured confetti sprinkles, which I stumbled upon in the baking aisle of Sainsbury's (I also came across some pastel glitter strands, which I can't wait to try out!).


I used a recipe from the Great British Bake Off: How to Bake book to make the sponge, I had to double the recipe as I wanted three large tiers, not the two that the recipe made. I then made up a batch of frosting, using green food colouring with a few drops of blue to get a nice minty green colour. 

I was really pleased with the end result, the sponge was lovely and light, so all of that whipping of the butter and sugar in my KitchenAid paid off! My icing technique could do with a bit of refining as I can never seem to quite manage a nice completely smooth finish! Although this may have had something to do with the temperature of the frosting, as I had put it in the fridge for a little while to firm up.



You Might Also Like

0 comments